I’m focusing on getting into a routine. I love our slow mornings, and I’m working on not blaming myself for not getting up early but allowing myself to sleep in. We take the dogs for one or two long walks. I focus on eating well, and getting out, starting up my writing and gratitude journal again. But mostly I’m focusing on not beating myself up for not being able to just jump right back into a routine I had when not being a mama. Cause it goes change things, after being up several times during the night, you need to sleep a bit extra in the morning to make it through the day. And in the middle of your morning routine you need to handle a poop emergency, wash stains and do laundry. The morning routine also involves nursing, changing, dressing and maybe pumping, which all takes a bit of time. And not to mention the huge amount of time all the cuddling takes.
So far our day looks like this
- Wake up and feed the baby, depending on what time, sleep a bit more afterwards.
- Drink water!
- Do some journaling
- Do my skincare, get dressed and dress the baby
- Go downstairs and have breakfast
- Check of a to-do list, make calls or do laundry or whatever it might be
After our slow morning there’s most probably need to change and feed the baby again.
- We take the dogs for a longer walk around 1 and then we have lunch. Watch some TV, do some tummy time and take a nap. Or go for a fika with someone.
- In the evening we’ve decided to take the dogs for another walk, just me and Odi, when he comes home. And then we have dinner with my parents. We might stay down with them or go upstairs and watch a movie before bed. And I’ve also gotten started with writing a gratitude journal in the evening. Listing all the things I’m grateful for!
What I would like to include in my routine is yoga, and meditation, but most importantly getting more consistent with our routine. But I’m also focusing on giving myself a f’ing break. Seriously, I’m so hard on myself sometimes, and always ask so much of myself, mixed with never being fully satisfied. My main focus is to take care of myself and the baby, that’s it, and some days that has to be it. And that’s okay!
I like and need to have goals. And I always try to be better. But I’m also really trying to not feel guilty about not doing enough, because it is enough. It’s important to give yourself a break, mama. One step at a time, one day at a time. I love having a routine, and it does make me feel better, but it shouldn’t feel like a chore, it takes discipline but it should also make you feel good, and be something that makes your day better. I need to remind myself of that!
What’s your routine like?
Do you feel stressed about having a routine, about not doing enough?
What are the most important things you need to do to make yourself feel good?